Client Pet Care Newsletters

Current Issue

Why is Flea & Tick prevention so important for our pets?

Cats and dogs are prone to a number of different types of parasites, many of which have complex, persistent life cycles. Some of these pose health risks to your pet as well as to you and your family. Your veterinarian can screen your pet for parasites by performing a thorough physical examination, and running laboratory test such as a fecal flotation, heartworm test, and other testing depending upon your pet’s symptoms.

Fleas – How to Prevent & Treat

Probably the most infamous and annoying external parasite, fleas are hardy insects that live in your pet’s hair, your carpeting, upholstered furniture, and outdoors. They can live up to a year and reproduce by the millions. Only 5% of the total flea population within your pet’s environment lives on the animal; the other 95% (eggs, larva, pupa, and adult stages) live in the environment.

Fleas cause itching, skin irritation, allergic skin disease, anemia due to blood loss, intestinal parasites (from ingestion of the flea), and carry a number of infectious diseases. Thanks to the advancements in flea control over the last few years, it is now incredibly easy and quite affordable to eliminate fleas. Ask your veterinarian about the different products available.

Ticks – How to Prevent & Treat

Ticks are blood-sucking external parasites that also carry infectious diseases such as Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, anaplasmosis and other vector-borne diseases. Ticks latch firmly onto your pet with harpoon-like teeth and are notoriously difficult to remove. As with fleas, ticks are easily preventable and treatable with some of the same products that control fleas.

View 2011 Newsletters (PDF files)

View 2010 Newsletters (PDF files)