What is the Dermatology Package?
The “Derm” Pack is a complete skin work-up at a discounted price. The diagnostic tests included would cost significantly more if charged individually. We feel it is important to offer these at a discount because most pet owners do not have insurance for their animals and must pay out of pocket for all veterinary costs. By purchasing these tests together as the Derm Pack, no important test will be skipped as a cost-saving measure, and an accurate diagnosis can be made the FIRST time your pet is seen for skin problems.
- Skin Scraping to diagnose and identify skin mites such as Demodex and Sarcoptes.
- Skin Cytology to evaluate the presence of infectious organisms such as yeast and bacteria, as well as red and white blood cells, and some fungal organisms.
- Woods Lamp Examination to diagnose some cases of dermatophytosis (ring worm).
- Fungal Culture to definitively diagnose dermatophytosis.
- Ear Cytology to characterize the type and severity of any infection within the ear canals.
- Ear Mite Exam to diagnose and identify the presence of ear mites.
- Nail Bed Scraping and Cytology to diagnose and characterize pododermatitis (infection of the nail beds and toes).
- Bloodwork to diagnose any congenital makeups that may be causing or contributing to the skin issue.
What Happens Next?
Once the samples are collected they will be evaluated microscopically. This can take some time, so we ask that you leave your pet with us for an hour or two while the samples are processed. Treatment will depend upon the type of infection(s) present and/or organism(s) found. For allergic skin disease, existing infections will be treated first, and then a systematic plan will be outlined to determine what allergies your pet has and how best to treat them long-term. Follow-up visits will be scheduled to ensure that all infections are treated successfully.
How Much Does it Cost?
If purchased individually, the diagnostic tests listed above would come to a total of $400. When purchased together as the Dermatology Package, the cost is only $299; that’s a savings of almost 25%. The examination fee is additional. Any medications, supplements, shampoos, or other prescribed treatments will be charged in addition.
Make an Appointment Today
When you make your appointment, specify that you would like the Dermatology Package so that adequate time is allowed.